What to do if you think a child or young person is being abused

Worried about child abuse?

Do you know of a child or young person who is being abused or neglected? Are you a young person who is being abused?

Tell someone

If you suspect that a child is being harmed

  • contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 020 7525 1921 (or 020 7525 5000 out-of-hours)
  • email the MASH at MASH@southwark.gov.uk
  • call the local police
  • in an emergency, after 5pm and at weekends or on bank holidays, you can contact the out of hours social worker on 020 7525 5000

Not sure if it is abuse?

Go to our page about asking for help or contact the Children's Services duty child protection coordinator (LADO) on 020 7525 3297 for advice.

The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) works within Children’s Services and provides advice and guidance to employers, organisations and other individuals who have concerns about the behaviours of an adult who works with children and young people.

More useful contacts

NSPCC Child Protection Helpline
24-hour freephone service for adults, children or young people for advice or to give details about a child who may be at risk.
Tel: 0808 800 5000

24-hour freephone for children and young people who need advice
Tel: 0800 1111

Family Lives
A freephone advice line for parents.
Tel: 0808 800 2222